Monday, March 06, 2006

Wash your swatch

This should be added as a new rule in the 10 Principles of knitting.
(Of course ) I did not wash my swatch so I had to face a nasty surprise after washing the aran sweater: the marvelous (and highly overpriced) cashmerino aran looked like a drowned cat !
No life left in the cables PLUS that the sweater went longer.
I had to choices : to give it away - which I can't do from obvious emotional reasons - or to cut the bottom parts.
Right: Here is the sweater undertaking surgery :


It took me an entire weekend to knit the ribs again. Somehow I have the feeling I will have to repeat this in the future, after any few washes...
Very poor choice of yarn - this is a new 'never again' on my list with 'never again' things.

At least I had a nice winter weather as a 'background' for the sweater re-engineering.
This was the Friday (English) snow in Halifax:

2 comments:

Cookie said...

Oh no! The cables look lovely to me. Did you graft the original ribbing onto the bottom after unraveling, or did you pick up and reknit the ribbing?

Silvia said...

Reknit the ribbing with a smaller size needle :) (5 mm ) - the sweater is done on 5.5mm needles.